Your Small Business Can Help Fund the Clean Energy Movement
If you’re a sole proprietor or own a business with a low volume of monthly transactions, our climate-friendly business checking account may be the account for you.
Earn 3.56% APY Interest On Your Dollars
Get rewarded while you grow your business. Earn cash back for using your debit card, receiving direct deposits, getting a clean energy loan, or having an average deposit balance of $2,500 or more. See the conditions below.
1 Minimum opening balance requirement = $25; ongoing minimum monthly balance requirement = $0
Limited to one Rewards Checking per member account.
*Debit card transactions are defined as a point of sale or online purchase using the debit card linked to your checking account.
**Direct deposits include deposits made by the member’s employer issuing payroll or a federal or state government agency paying benefits, etc. Direct deposits do not include deposits to an account that are made by an individual using online or mobile banking or an Internet payment provider such as PayPal or Venmo.
$0 – up to $15,000 (with reward checking)2
Portion of your balance above $15,000 (with rewards checking)2
Climate-Friendly Banking with Great Benefits
Enjoy the convenience and benefits of our Rewards Checking with the full confidence that your dollars are having a positive impact on the planet. And the best part? No monthly maintenance or overdraft fees.
Climate-friendly debit cards
Our debit cards are made from bio-based, industrially compostable, polylactic material.
Say goodbye to fees! No monthly fees, ATM fees or overdraft fees.
Shared Branch & ATM Network
Take advantage of over 32,000 shared ATMs or 5,600+ shared credit union branches throughout the country.
Member Service Team
Call us for help with questions or to process phone transactions.
Is a Clean Energy Credit Union Business Checking Account Right for Your Business?
While our checking account features are limited compared to a traditional business checking account, our climate-friendly, high interest accounts could be the right fit for your business if:
Sole Proprietor or Individual Owner
You own a small business and your business uses the account in a similar way that an individual would
Your business does a limited number of monthly transactions and is looking for a way that your money can do good
Limited Online & Mobile Banking Users
Our checking accounts best serve organizations with a single or limited number of online and mobile banking users
What is the Impact of Your Dollars?
Calculate the carbon offset of your accounts.
Got Questions? We’ve Got Answers.
First, see if you’re already eligible to join Clean Energy Credit Union by being a part of our “field of membership,” which currently includes:
- A member of one of the following organizations:
- African-American Credit Union Coalition
- American Solar Energy Society
- Association of Energy Service Professionals
- Colorado Renewable Energy Society
- Denver Electric Vehicle Council
- Electric Auto Association
- Engineers for a Sustainable World
- Georgia Solar Energy Association
- Green America
- GreenHome Institute
- Illinois Solar Energy Association
- Midwest Renewable Energy Association
- Northeast Sustainable Energy Association
- Polar Bear Sustainable Energy Co-op
- RENEW Wisconsin
- Renewable Energy Owners Coalition of America
- Solar United Neighbors
- Texas Solar Energy Society
- Women of Renewable Industries and Sustainable Energy
- An employee or volunteer of one of the following organizations:
- A member of the immediate family or household of someone who is eligible via one of the above options or of someone who is already a member of Clean Energy Credit Union
If you’re not already eligible to join Clean Energy Credit Union, you can consider joining one of the above organizations. On your membership application, you can request that Clean Energy Credit Union sign you up for a membership with the Solar United Neighbors free of charge or request that Clean Energy Credit Union sign you up for a one-year membership with the- American Solar Energy Society and deduct the associated $10 membership fee from your opening account balance. Click here to learn more about the field of membership partner organizations listed above.
After confirming your eligibility, you would then open a “share account” (i.e. savings account) with a $5 minimum deposit which would serve as your ownership share in Clean Energy Credit Union. Once someone becomes a member of the Credit Union, they are a member for life. Click here to join Clean Energy Credit Union.
In case it helps, here’s some background on what a credit union “field of membership” is: although credit unions provide similar services as banks, they are different from banks in many ways. For example, a credit union is a not-for-profit, financial services cooperative that exists solely to serve its members and to fulfill its mission, whereas a bank exists to maximize financial returns for its stockholders. Another difference is that a bank can serve the general public whereas a credit union can only serve its “field of membership,” which is defined by regulators as the people and entities that are legally eligible to join the credit union. Ultimately, a credit union’s field of membership is comprised of one or more groups of people and entities that all have something in common that binds them together in some way. Many credit unions have a field of membership that includes people who work for a certain employer, or who live in a certain geographic area, or who are members of the same professional association or religious organization.
Business Solutions requires certain business-governance documents (the operational rules) for your business. The documents required—and what goes in them—will vary based on the structure of your business and any applicable state and local requirements. Consulting with business counselors, attorneys and accountants can prove helpful. Specifics on the documentation needed can be found here.
You can open an account by applying online here. There is a $25 opening deposit required, but no ongoing minimum monthly balance required after that. In order to open a checking account, you must also open a savings account.
Savings accounts require a $5 minimum balance to maintain the account (and to maintain your membership in the Credit Union). Checking accounts require a $25 minimum deposit to open the account, but no ongoing minimum monthly balance is required. Money market accounts require a $2,500 minimum balance to maintain the account.
If you have a checking account and a debit card, you can make up to five free ATM withdrawals per month from any of 32,000+ MoneyPass® shared ATM machines throughout the USA (and international travelers can use any of 2.1 million Cirrus ATM’s worldwide where fees may apply). You can download the MoneyPass® mobile app to locate the nearest network ATM. You can also use your debit card to get free cash back at the “point of sale” (e.g. when making a purchase at your local grocery store).
There are a variety of ways you can utilize our services including:
- Online Banking: You can access your accounts securely from any computer with our user-friendly online banking platform. Members can easily:
- View account balances and up to 90 days of transaction history
- Transfer funds between your Credit Union accounts or other U.S. financial institutions
- Schedule or cancel transfers, and track transfer history
- Leverage Bill Pay services
- Manage your debit card with card controls
- Mobile App: Our secure mobile app also allows you to manage your account from your tablet or mobile phone. Download the app and get access to:
- Mobile check deposit
- Account balances and transactions
- Schedule bill payments
- Transfer money between your accounts
- Locate ATM and shared branch locations
- Leverage Bill Pay services
- Shared Branches: Our shared branch network allows members to perform a range of transactions at other credit unions throughout the country. Find a location near you.
- Mail: You can mail checks for deposit to us at Clean Energy Credit Union PO Box 4233 Englewood, CO 80155
Depositing funds into your account is easy with our mobile deposit feature within the Clean Energy Mobile Banking App. If you haven’t already, download the app from the app store. Log in to the app. Tap the “Check Deposit” option at the bottom of the screen. Follow the instructions to take photos of the front and back of your endorsed check.
Currently, we do not offer “Bill Pay” for business accounts. As the number of business accounts we service continues to grow we continuously work on adding additional features and hope to have this available at some point in the future.