Who can open a UTMA or UGMA account?

A custodian, who is usually a parent, grandparent, or legal guardian, can open and manage a UTMA or UGMA account on behalf of a minor. The custodian has the legal responsibility to manage the assets in the account until the minor reaches the age of majority.